Freckles, sunspots, and dark spots are just a few signs of ageing. Those are common skin pigmentations that appear in our skin as we age. Skin pigmentation affects the colour of your skin. You may notice a difference in skin colour that may either be darker or lighter than your usual tone.
Skin trauma, certain medications, diseases, and pregnancy hormones can also cause skin pigmentation. It makes the skin’s complexion dull or imbalanced. There are different ways to remove skin pigmentation. Topical creams, laser treatments, and home remedies are some ways you can get rid of skin pigmentations. Keep reading this article to know which of the procedures for pigmentation removal in Singapore are the most effective.
Home Remedies for Skin Pigmentation Removal
There are home remedies available for skin pigmentation removal, however, there is no proof that they are effective in doing so. Compared to getting treatments from aesthetic clinics or doctors, these types of treatments are definitely much cheaper.
Remedy 1: Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar can lighten skin pigmentation because it contains acetic acid. You just need to mix apple cider vinegar and water equally, apply it to your dark spots for 1-2 minutes and rinse it with lukewarm water. For best results, repeat it twice a day.
Remedy 2: Milk
Milk has lactic acid that can lighten spots in the skin. Simply soak a cotton ball to the milk and rub it on the spots. Do it twice a day for best results.
Remedy 3: Aloe vera
Aloe vera is a medicinal plant usually use for treating burns. But do you know that it can also lighten skin? Before bedtime, apply aloe vera gel to the pigmented skin. Rinse with warm water in the morning.
Though these remedies are generally safe, it is still better to consult your doctor to avoid any skin irritations or complications.
Topical Treatments for Skin Pigmentation Removal in Singapore
Most people use topical creams for skin pigmentation removal. Nowadays, there are many over-the-counter (OTC) creams that can be bought in the market. However, these OTC creams can only prevent or reduce skin pigmentation but may be unable to remove them completely.
Mostly, these creams contain the following ingredients:
- Kojic acid
- Vitamin C
- Azelaic acid
Another type of cream used for skin pigmentation removal is called medical-grade creams. As MY Medical Aesthetics points out, these types of creams require a doctor’s prescription before you can buy it. It is more effective compared to OTC creams.
Our advanced technology is already able to offer a wide range of treatments for skin pigmentation. Treatments like lasers, chemical peels, microdermabrasion, and intense pulsed light (IPL) are commonly recommended for skin pigmentation removal. For those who want to undergo one of these treatments, you need to consult your doctor or skin specialist to assess the type of skin pigmentation you have as well as the type of treatment suitable for you.
Types of Skin pigmentation and prescribed treatment
- Melasma – it forms a brown spot that usually affects the cheeks, nose, and forehead. Most common on women who are pregnant and taking birth control pills. The treatment of melasma depends on its severity. If it is less severe, topical cream or medical-graded cream will do the trick. It may take 2 to 3 months to see the results but expect some side effects like redness and itching of the skin.
For severe melasma, your doctor will recommend laser treatments or chemical peels. Results are faster with these treatments compared to using topical creams alone. However, it is much expensive than topical treatment.
- Solar Lentigo and Freckles – these are tiny brown spots the appear on the cheeks and nose. Mostly, these types of skin pigmentation are manageable by topical creams. For persistent solar lentigo and freckles, laser treatments like Pico Lasers and Q-switched are recommended. Both laser treatments have the same effect; the only difference is the cost of each treatment.
- Pigmentation Bumps – light brown spots on the face and rough in texture. It looks like a mole, but it is actually different. These affect elders and are known to be acquired genetically. Electrocautery and ablative laser surgery are recommended for this type of skin pigmentation. These treatments require 2 sessions that will take 10 to 20 minutes every procedure. You have nothing to worry about as this treatment is painless with the use of anaesthetic creams.
- Post-inflammatory pigmentation – discoloured patches on the skin caused by a skin infection, the effect of using unsafe cosmetics, or the effect of squeezing of the pimple. Treatments recommended are topical creams, laser treatments, chemical peels, or oral medication such as tranexamic acid. All these treatments have the same results, the effectiveness of these treatments will be determined by how your doctor handles it.
- Hori’s Naevus – this skin condition looks like bluish-grey marks that mostly appear in the face. It is known to be genetically acquired. This is the most difficult skin pigmentation to treat. Topical creams won’t work on Hori’s Naevus because it leaves pigmentation deeply in the skin. Laser treatments are recommended for this type of skin pigmentation and require several sessions before results can be seen.
How much is the cost of treatment?
The cost depends on the type of treatment or the brand of the topical creams. Another factor that will affect the cost is the number of sessions and the doctor that will assess and administer the treatment.
Points to remember for skin pigmentation removal
“Prevention is better than cure.” Before undergoing any treatments, consult your doctor or skin specialist. Has your skin assessed to get the right treatment? It is also important to check and do research concerning the credentials of your doctor. Make sure they have the expertise to handle the procedure because this is one factor that will contribute to the effectiveness of your skin’s treatment. Some treatments may require multiple sessions, which means it will cost you more. Do not hesitate to ask your doctor if they offer packages to get some savings.