Get Healthier, Smoother and Blemish-Free Skin with Acne Scar Removal in Singapore
Many Singaporeans want to healthier and smoother, blemish-free skin. Day by day, we can see new wrinkles, dark spots, sagging skin and they can be very unpleasant. However, probably the most unflattering of all skin imperfections are acne scars that have always plagued our faces since our adolescent years.
Acne is one of the most common skin problems that people of all ages face. While acne is always associated with teenagers struggling with the growing pains of puberty, this skin condition can strike at any age. It can affect adults and can appear anywhere on the face, back, chest, neck, shoulders, upper arms and buttocks.
What causes acne?
Acne forms when pores in the skin or the hair follicle gets blocked by:
- Too much oil or excessive sebum production.
- Pores blocked by dead skin cells or cosmetic products
- Bacterial build-up
The pore blockage can sometimes appear as blackheads, whiteheads, pimples, cysts, and nodules. When these materials accumulate under clogged pores, acne or inflammation and pus formation are formed. Acne can be aggravated by a lot of factors such as:
- unhealthy diet and lifestyle
- hormonal changes e.g. pregnancy or periods
- greasy cosmetic products that are hard to remove
- certain oral medications
- high humidity and heat
- family history of severe acne
Why seek treatment for acne scarring?
Prompt treatment for acne scars should be sought because it can worsen as time goes by. If you can treat the scar as early as possible, you will be able to give your skin the protection it needs to prevent further scarring.
Treatment for acne scar removal in Singapore is usually sought by patients for physical, emotional and social reasons. The presence of acne scars makes you look less attractive and may also affect your self-confidence. It is also not just a cosmetic issue – it is also a medical one that affects the skin, caused by clogged pores, bacteria, and excess oil. Treating it will help you regain healthy skin again. The unsightly nature of acne and the scars left behind can cause one to suffer from low self- esteem, making treatment even more important.
What are the different types of acne scar removal treatments?
People with acne scars would always want them to be removed. Depending on the severity of acne and type of lesions present, the following treatments may be prescribed (often in combination with each other):
- Over-the-counter (OTC) Remedies
- Alpha hydroxy acids, also known as AHAs, are a group of natural acids that are commonly used as skincare to remove the top layer of dead skin cells, which helps prevent acne and improve the appearance of acne scars. Alpha hydroxy acids are water-soluble, which means it can help in dealing with dry, damaged skin.
- Salicylic acid is another natural acid that is often used as an ingredient in skincare products aimed at controlling acne. It helps clear debris such as dirt or dead skin cells that can block your pores and lead to acne. It also helps minimize any swelling or redness that may occur, which makes the acne scars less noticeable.
- Another practical remedy for acne scars is topical retinoids, which helps reduce acne scar appearance and discolouration. It also accelerates cell regeneration and improves skin quality. It can make your skin more sensitive to the sun though, so it’s best paired with a good quality sunscreen.
- Lactic acid has been shown by various trials and studies to help in reducing the appearance of acne scars. It helps improve the texture and pigmentation of acne scars, which makes them less noticeable in the long run.
- Sunscreen is important for dealing with acne scars because sunlight can worsen their appearance by making them look darker and dryer. It is recommended to wear sunscreen with a sun protection factor (SPF) of at least 30.
- Clinic Grade Treatments
- Chemical peels are procedures that use strong acids and are great for skin resurfacing, a process wherein the top layer of the skin is removed. The underlying skin layer then effectively ‘resurfaces’ and replaces the top layer. One intended effect of this is that your acne scars will look less noticeable and successive chemical peels will make your acne scars fade away gradually.
- Another skin resurfacing technique is microdermabrasion. There are two methods for microdermabrasion. One uses a special device that gently sands away the skin’s outer layer. The other method is done by spraying fine particles of aluminum oxide or sodium bicarbonate which then removes dead skin cells.
- Laser skin resurfacing is another option. It achieves similar results as chemical peels and microdermabrasion but instead uses a laser device to perform the resurfacing.
- Dermal fillers can be used to reduce the appearance of depressed acne scars. Injecting the fillers can help fill out the acne ‘crater’ and also improve the quality of your skin.
If you’re looking for advice or help on any acne scar removal treatments, you may consult with Dr Chua Cheng Yu by setting up a doctor’s consultation. He is one of Singapore’s leading aesthetic doctors and you can contact him through phone (+65 8858 6689) or email (email@example.com).
Dr Chua Cheng Yu
13 Stamford Rd, #B2-35 Capitol Piazza,
+65 8129 9789